The Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) on Tuesday assured the Delhi High Court that it will complete work on all the 60 objections raised by the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) within the next 20 days and get the Ferozeshah Kotla ready to host the World T20 matches.But the question on everyone’s mind is whether or not the Indian cricket board (BCCI) will be willing to take the risk of waiting for clearance till the eleventh hour because the two judge bench of Justices S. Muralidhar and Vibhu Bakhru have made it clear that the Rs 50 lakh security amount that the DDCA will be depositing with the SDMC shall stand forfeited if the association fails to get the required clearance.The most important development in the whole matter took place outside the court when the DDCA withdrew its petition after both parties consented to resolve the matter. SDMC counsel Gaurang Kanth informed the court during the hearing that if the DDCA complies with the demands and improves the safety features inside the Kotla stadium within the next 20 days, the corporation will have no problem in issuing it the ‘Final Occupancy Certificate’ for the World T20.The Kotla has been assigned four men’s and six women’s World T20 matches, beginning March 8. But more importantly, obtaining the certificate would mean an end to the perennial problem of DDCA running from pillar to post ahead of every international and IPL games to get the necessary clearance from the municipal corporation.Coming back to the current scenario, while all looks good at present, what happens if the DDCA fails to complete the remaining 60 per cent ‘rectification’ work at the stadium? But DDCA counsel Sandeep Sethi assured the court that more than 40 per cent of the work had already been completed and the safety-related points, raised by the SDMC, will be duly taken care of.advertisement”We have given them verbal assurance that safety measures inside the stadium will be taken care of. Even the SDMC inspected the venue and was happy with the development. We are happy that the matches are on now,” DDCA treasurer Ravinder Manchanda told Mail Today.DDCA vice president C.K. Khanna said Delhi will host the matches as scheduled.”We are hopefull that we will get all clearances on time,” he said. But then, is a verbal assurance from DDCA enough for the BCCI? After all, there have been two instances in the recent past when they have failed to hold matches.Firstly, it was the warm-up game between India ‘A’ and South Africa and recently BCCI shifted the second T20I between India and Sri Lanka to Ranchi after the DDCA failed to get the required clearance.Recently, BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur had informed that the Board would abide by its February 8 deadline for DDCA to confirm the availability of the stadium. But that did not happen as the DDCA again put the ball in the High Court’s court. The BCCI was left with no other option but to delay its decision till the Court order. But then, for how long?The online commencement of ticket sales, which was to begin on February 9, could not take place as the BCCI was yet to finalise Delhi as one of the venues. Despite the DDCA earning the tag of ‘habitual offenders’, the BCCI is again banking on the state cricket body, may be for the one last time with a hope that it would be able to get the occupancy certificate from the SDMC on March 1 and put up a good show.ALSO READ:World T20: Door is shut on Kevin Pietersen return, says Eoin Morgan
Advertisement AdvertisementWBC and WBA middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez is all set to fight IBF middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs in a unification bout at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on May 4th which is a Cinco De Mayo weekend.The fight was announced last week by Oscar De La Hoya and Eddie Hearn on Social Media. This is the fight most boxing fans have wanted to see as Canelo is coming off of a win against former middleweight kingpin Gennady Golovkin in September last year and Jacobs beat Serhiy Derevyachenko last October to capture the vacant IBF middleweight title.Daniel Jacobs went toe-to-toe with Gennady Golovkin back in March of 2017 when he lost the fight via a very close decision, although many boxing fans believed Jacobs won that fight.For this mega fight, the American is set to make a career-high ₹107 crore, according to LA Times.[Sources familiar with the deal have indicated that Jacobs stands to collect as much as $15 million for the Alvarez fight, and a minimum of $4 million in his next two fights should he lose to Alvarez.“If [Jacobs] wins or gets a draw, it’s big, big money for those next fights,” one individual familiar with the deal but unauthorized to comment publicly on it told The Times.]This is a way more money then he made for his last two big fights on HBO. In his last fight against Sergiy Derevyachenko where he won the vacant IBF world middleweight title, Jacobs made ₹11.4 crore rupees.Before that, he fought middleweight kingpin Gennady Golovkin and made slightly over ₹12.4 crore rupees.ALSO READ:Canelo Alvarez wants to fight Callum Smith at Wembley stadium in front of 90,000 fans
No, this is not an extremely late April Fool’s Day prank. Microsoft really did just reveal another phone that bears the Nokia brand name.If you’re confused, that’s understandable — and rest assured you’re definitely not alone. Back in May, Microsoft handed nearly 2,000 former Nokia employees their walking papers. That same month, they reached an agreement to sell Nokia’s featurephone business to Foxconn. Both those moves came after writing down nearly all of the $7.5 billion acquisition.It looked like Microsoft was finally ready to move on. Many in tech circles figured that the long-rumored Surface Phone would be the next handset they unveiled, but Microsoft has shocked everyone by releasing a brand new, $37 featurephone that sports the Nokia brand name.The new Nokia 216 is exactly what you’d expect from a budget phone. It sports a 2.4-inch QVGA display, VGA front and rear-facing cameras, integrated FM radio tuner, and an impressive 24 days of standby time. It comes in three colors: white, black, and a sort of robin’s egg blue. And yes, it still has a headphone jack.The Opera Mini browser comes pre-installed, and just in case that $37 price tag isn’t enticing enough Microsoft and Gameloft have teamed up to offer one free game every month for a year.Is the Nokia 216 an exciting new device? Unexpected, maybe, but definitely not exciting. Then again, it doesn’t have to be. The 216 will probably sell in bunches, just like the other Nokia featurephones Microsoft released. Believe it or not, they’ve sold millions of phones like it since the acquisition went down in 2014.