• Home
  • Archive by category "dqtmqkpq"

Ja coaches picked for ITF’s Valencia training

first_img HELP PLAYERS GROW KINGSTON: Local tennis coaches, Tinesta Rowe and Joel Jones, are basking in the opportunity to take their game and the country’s to the next level through an upcoming International Tennis Federation (ITF) Level Two Coaching Certification Programme, which will take place in Valencia, Spain, next year. Both benefited from their participation in the ITF Level One Coaching Certification Course hosted by Tennis Jamaica, which ended at Eric Bell Tennis Centre last week. The course was conducted by John Goede, the ITF’s Regional Development Officer for the Caribbean and experienced local coach, Evan Williams. “I will support Tinesta Rowe and Joel Jones to go to the Level Two in Valencia in 2019,” said Goede, whose recommendations will go through a number of channels before the ultimate ITF sign-off. The regional tennis director explained how he had pushed course participants beyond the norm, an action to be reciprocated in their teachings. “For those in management, you need to place the bar high for every level of coaching if we want to maximise the level of each individual in Jamaica and the Caribbean,” he said. Jones said he was excited at the selection and along with Rowe, they plan to maximise their learning in Spain. “I’m particularly excited and very humbled. I feel very blessed to have been selected to go and do the Level Two. It’s not something that we take for granted because it is an opportunity to take your coaching to the next level. Two of us in the course were lucky enough to be given that privilege, Tinesta Rowe and myself,” Jones observed. Rowe was one of Jamaica’s most outstanding female players, winning championships at every age group – Under-14, Under-16, Under-18 – before becoming national champion, with the number one ranking to boot. “Playing and coaching are definitely two different things. Some people have the perception that the best players are the best coaches, but it’s not just about playing the game, it’s about being able to impart that information to somebody else and then helping them grow and ensuring that they grow in different stages,” she reasoned. The former Hoolebury All-Age and St Hilda’s High student started playing at age nine and first represented Jamaica at 13 years, then went on to earn a scholarship to North Carolina State University. Afterwards, she got involved in coaching in the United States at the Rick Macci Tennis Academy in Florida, before returning home and has been helping to develop talent through Russell Tennis Academy.last_img read more

Man reportedly goes berserk, damages car windshields

first_imgWest Bank Demerara (WBD) resident, Terrence Dulough, suffered immense losses when both windshields and all the windows of his motor car were willfully destroyed last month.However, the alleged perpetrator – Royston Phillips, who was said to have inflicted the unlawful acts towards the Virtual Complainant’s car – denied the allegations when he appeared before West Demerara Magistrate, Clive Nurse late last week.Police claimed that on June 17, 2017, at Skull City, WBD, Phillips of Patentia Housing Scheme, maliciously and unlawfully damaged the front and back windshields, as well as the front and back windows of Dulough’s PMM 194 motor vehicle.The damage was said to have accrued $75,000 in total value but Phillips, who works in rodent control, denied the prosecution’s case. He told the court that he was charged before. As such, the Magistrate placed him on $35,000 bail and the accused will make his next court appearance on August 10.last_img read more

Giroud dispels Arsenal title talk

first_img0Shares0000Arsenal’s Olivier Giroud was also part of the France side that reached the Euro 2016 final but lost to Portugal in extra-time © AFP/File / Ian KingtonLONDON, United Kingdom, Oct 30 – French international Olivier Giroud rubbished talk of Arsenal winning the Premier League title despite an excellent run of form saying Sunday it is far too early to make such predictions.The 30-year-old striker had been a peripheral figure this season, after suffering a toe injury, but his double after coming off the bench inspired the Gunners to an ultimately convincing 4-1 win over hapless Sunderland on Saturday. Victory extended Arsenal’s unbeaten run in all competitions to 14 games and fuelled talk of them winning their first league title since 2004.Victory kept them level on points with Manchester City and Liverpool at the top of the table after 10 matches, although City lead by virtue of a slightly better goal difference.“We’ve only played a quarter of the league,” Giroud told the Arsenal website.“It’s still the beginning of the league and I’m not the man who will speak too much because we are first.“We enjoy this position, obviously we want to finish first and win the league, but we know there is a long time to go. We’re in a good moment and we need to keep it up and be consistent.”Giroud, who was part of the France side that went all the way to the Euro 16 final which they hosted only to lose to Portugal 1-0 in extra-time, said he hoped to maintain his form now he had returned from injury.The Frenchman, who has been at Arsenal since his goals helped unfashionable Montpellier win the Ligue 1 title in 2012, took just four minutes after beng sent on during the second-half by Arsene Wenger to open his account.“If I could do that in every single game, I would be the most happy man,” said Giroud.“I’ve been lucky — I had great assists from my team-mates, so I always try to finish the job well.“It’s a big time for me because I’m coming back from a tough injury and I’m very happy to get back on the pitch. It’s nice for myself and the team.“To score is always important for a striker.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Video: Some of the funnier goals from Micronesia 0-46 Vanuatu

first_imgMicronesia suffered their third record defeat when they were thrashed 46-0 by Vanuatu in an Olympic qualifying tournament on Tuesday. Check out some of the goals in the video above.last_img

Military chief: U.S. not stretched too thin for Iran attack

first_imgWASHINGTON – While military action against Iran is a last resort, the U.S. has the resources to attack if needed despite the strains of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the top U.S. military officer said Thursday. Navy Adm. Michael Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the focus now is on diplomacy to stem Iran’s nuclear ambitions and its support for insurgents in Iraq. But, he told reporters, “there is more than enough reserve to respond (militarily) if that, in fact, is what the national leadership wanted to do.” Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Iran’s acquisition of nuclear weapons could set of an arms race in the Middle East. “The risk of an accident or a miscalculation or of those weapons or materials falling into the hands of terrorists seem to me to be substantially increased,” he said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Appearing together before reporters for the first time since Mullen became chairman on Oct. 1, they expressed concern about Iran and Turkey – hot spots commanding attention even as the military focuses on the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Both leaders warned of serious repercussions if Congress were to pass a nonbinding resolution labeling as genocide the killing of up to 1.5 million Armenians in the final years of the Ottoman Empire, around World War I. “I don’t think the Turks are bluffing. I think it is that meaningful to them,” Gates said. “I think there is a very real risk of perhaps not shutting us down” in terms of access to Turkish airspace for resupplying U.S. troops in Iraq, but of at least restricting it,” the Pentagon chief said. At the same time, Gates said the U.S. and the Iraqis are “prepared to do the appropriate thing” in acting against the rebel Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, that has conducted raids into Turkey from northern Iraq. The Turks have expressed frustration about the lack of action by the U.S. against the group. The Turkish parliament this week authorized the government to send troops across the border to go after the Kurdish rebels.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

FALCARRAGH TO HOLD ITS FIRST EVER MAY DAY CELEBRATION

first_imgFor the first time ever, the ancient feast day of ‘May Day’ will be celebrated in Falcarragh, west Donegal. It will take place this Saturday afternoon at 2pm.Originally, in Pagan times, a day commemorating the feast of Bealtaine, in May 1890 it became a holiday recognising international workers’ day and the fight for better working conditions.“We decided to celebrate it as an act of solidarity with our own working people, many who have been made unemployed or who have been forced to emigrate over recent years,” said Owen Curran, one of the leaders of the four-year-long ‘Cloughaneely Can’t Pay, Won’t Pay’ campaign against household charges, and now water charges. “The stark facts are that despite the Government telling us we’re ‘turning the corner,’ mass un-employment and emigration remains the reality here. More than 400,000 people are on the live register with many more on ‘Job Bridge’ type schemes. Our young people continue to emigrate.”Curran believes there are two reasons for continuing unemployment.“One is the slump in demand because of the cuts to peoples incomes. The second is lack of investment. Meanwhile, large profits are being made and wealth has increased for the rich. Oxfam estimates that the super-wealthy have 700 billion euro stashed in Irish bank accounts.“The policy of incentives for the private sector to create jobs clearly has not worked. It most certainly has not worked in the Gaeltacht where Udaras has spent large sums of tax-payers money since their foundation. The result: mass unemployment levels and emigration from the area. What is needed is a real jobs plan, with investment channelled into a programme of necessary works such as school building, the fitting of buildings for rain-water harvesting, upgrades to sewage and water infrastructure, with work to begin immediately.” The ‘May Day’ event begins at Falcarragh crossroads at 2pm Saturday.There will be an open-mike discussion on pertinent issues such as local and national government job-creation strategies, as well as the planting of a tree in solidarity with all those from the area who have been made unemployed or forced to emigrate.Mr. Curran added that there will also be music and song, “because in the words of Emma Goldman, political activist, writer and feminist, ” If I can’t dance to it, it is not my revolution.”For further information, contact Owen Curran at 086 312 2784 or Maire at 086 739 3116. Organisers say everyone is welcome. FALCARRAGH TO HOLD ITS FIRST EVER MAY DAY CELEBRATION was last modified: April 30th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FalcarraghMay Day celebrationsOwen Curranlast_img read more

District race promotes exercise for kids

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card Event chairman Mike Shapiro said kids today should be exposed to more physical activities, and that the event is about more than running. “It’s not just about going and running laps,” he said. “It’s to get kids away from Xboxes and computers and to take dance classes or play soccer – to get out there and do some other things.” Educators and parents have recently put more emphasis on physical activity with children, as traditional P.E. instructors have long been cut from many school budgets, and obesity rates among the young have risen. When time permits, most students in the Newhall School District receive physical-education instruction from their classroom teachers, Shapiro said. Runs will start at 8:30 a.m. next Saturday and cost $15 per child. It will take place at Valencia Valley Elementary School, 23601 Carrizo Drive. Kindergarten through third-grade students face a 1K trail, while older students will tackle a 2K course. All runs are noncompetitive. Complimentary shirts to wear in the race are available from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Friday at the Valencia Valley library. Kids will receive medals for participating. For information, contact Shapiro at (661) 510-0752 or at fourdomer@aol.com. Sue Doyle, (661) 257-5254 sue.doyle@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NEWHALL – The Newhall School District will hold a run next week to promote physical activity for all kindergarten through sixth-graders in the area. The district’s first Run For Fitness is a reminder for youngsters that leading healthy lifestyles includes exercise as well as nutritional eating habits. On the course, students will run and periodically stop at workout stations for push-ups, sit-ups and other exercises. The run is open to all children in sixth grade and younger in the area. Vendors will also be stationed at the run, promoting local activities from cheerleading to soccer clubs that children can join. In addition, there will be special guests. last_img read more

‘Man City just triggered Article 50!’ – Fans troll Guardiola following UCL exit

first_img1 It seems Pep Guardiola has been replaced with Pep Fraudiola Manchester City’s Champions League campaign came to an abrupt end on Wednesday night, as defeat in Monaco knocked the Premier League side out of Europe.After winning the first leg of their round of 16 tie 5-3, City had the advantage going into the match at Stade Louis II, but knew ASM would pose a tough test considering their impressive domestic form.Two goals down at half time, Pep Guardiola’s side managed to grab an away goal in the 71st minute which, at that moment, was sending them through to the quarter-finals.But just six minutes later, Tiemoue Bakayoko, the redoubtable midfield enforcer, headed past Willy Caballero to make it 3-1 on the night and 6-6 on aggregate.With the scoreline unchanging before the final whistle, the hosts progressed via the away goals rule, and fans of every other Premier League club have started trolling City and head coach Pep Guardiola after the meek defeat.Social media was abuzz with jokes and memes, and talkSPORT collect some of the best below…last_img read more

Chelsea to conduct their own tests on Alvaro Morata hamstring injury

first_img1 Chelsea will make their own assessment of Alvaro Morata’s hamstring injury later this week after the striker was ruled out of international duty with Spain.The 24-year-old was substituted after 35 minutes of Chelsea’s 1-0 loss to Manchester City in the Premier League last Saturday.Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte expressed hope that he took Morata off the field before he suffered any serious damage to his left hamstring.But, following a medical assessment by the Spanish Football Federation, it is suggested the frontman could be out for up to six weeks. No official time frame for his recovery has been given.READ MORE: ‘There goes our title challenge’ – Chelsea fans panic over worrying reportsMorata met up with Spain on Sunday, where an MRI scan at the Sanitas University Hospital of La Moraleja in Madrid diagnosed “a grade II myofascial injury in the hamstring muscles”, the Spanish Football Federation said.He was immediately ruled out of Spain’s World Cup qualifiers with Albania and Israel, and Chelsea will conduct their own tests once the striker returns to London.The Blues, six points behind Premier League leaders City, next play on October 14 at Crystal Palace in the first of six games in 18 days.Morata has scored seven goals since signing for £58million from Real Madrid as a direct replacement for Diego Costa, now at Atletico Madrid.His possible absence will give Michy Batshuayi an opportunity, if Conte selects the Belgian who has netted five times this season, including the winner at Atletico last week.A month-long absence for Morata could impact Chelsea’s Champions League hopes – two of the six games before the end of October are against Roma – but the other matches are more favourable.As well as winless and scoreless Palace, Chelsea face Watford and Bournemouth in the Premier League, plus Everton in the Carabao Cup fourth round. There are fears Morata could be out for up to six weeks with a hamstring injury last_img read more

Lennon and assistant Parker depart Hibernian by ‘mutual consent’

first_img Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade 2 Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT SORRY 2 Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion latest Lennon’s No 2 Garry Parker has also left Easter Road by ‘mutual consent’ BEST OF revealed The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury center_img MOST READ IN FOOTBALL RANKED Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Neil Lennon’s two-and-a-half-year spell at Hibernian has come to an end gameday cracker Hibernian have confirmed the permanent exit of manager Neil Lennon and assistant Garry Parker by “mutual consent”.The pair were suspended on Friday and missed Sunday’s Scottish Premiership win over St Mirren in Paisley, and it has been confirmed that they have left the club. REVEALED huge blow Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won A statement on the club’s website said: “The management team of Neil Lennon and Garry Parker has left the club by mutual consent.“They have not been dismissed and have not resigned.”Lennon and Parker were in charge as Hibs secured promotion back to the top flight of Scottish football and oversaw a successful first season, where they reached the top four and qualified for Europe.Chairman Rod Petrie said: “We are grateful to Neil and Garry for all their efforts and in particular for leading the club back to the top flight of Scottish football. “We wish nothing but the best for Neil and Garry and their families for the future.”Lennon added: “I would like to thank the board, the coaching staff, the players and all the fans for making the last two-and-a-half years so enjoyable.“It has been my privilege to serve the club and I wish it every success in the future.”last_img read more